21 April 2015

How To Do Life aka Survive In Accra, Ghana

Hey hey hey! It's been about 9499202839 years since I blogged. Awkward. Shmawkward. So anyways, not sure if yall know this but I'm from Ghana *fist pumps* *dances azonto* heh, and I'm actually home for a few weeks just to say hey gurl hey to my family and to do some university application shenanigans but lets call it a business trip because yes. YALL.
First of all, Accra (the capital) is HOT. We're on the coast so humidity + salty air is always on 100 so basically leave your lotion at home. I remember when I landed, I was wearing a sweatshirt cuz the plane was a little chilly so I was all loike, let me snuggle up in my sweatshirt real quick. Literally the second I stepped out of the aircraft I was like "im dying, heat stroke, crying, get this sweatshirt off me, what life is this" etc.



So here's how to survive in Accra:

  • Even though it's hot, DON'T STAY INDOORS under the AC or fan. 
It's so easy to basically not do anything because of the heat, but really whats the point of even being here you know? Abeg put your hat on and walk around. 
  • Invest in a cotton handkerchief and/or hand-held fan.
I'm actually not kidding. The amount of sweating  that occurs whilst living in this country oh my gosh. There's basically no need to work out. Living in Ghana is a work out in itself.
  • Take public transport aka trotro aka the bus whenever possible. Taxi money adds up yall.
Do it. Taxis are expensive when you add it up at the end of the day. The bus is affordable, however not always comfortable, but are we hustlers or are we hustlers?
  • Explore your surroundings
Ugh so many photo opportunities for me to even begin to deal. Yes.
  • Seriously don't stay indoors. 
 You'll regret it.
  • Take your camera everywhere you can if possible
Photo opportunities! I always feel shy taking out my camera when I'm here cuz Ghanaians are so shameless with their side-eyes  LHH.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for directions and stuff like that. Ghanaians are super friendly
Everybody is just happy to help so  DO IT. Flash a smile in their direction..blow them all away.. *side-eye*
  • Greeting someone before asking a question or anything like that is kind of common courtesy
A simple "Good morning...*insert question here*" is good enough!
  • It's HOT, I don't think I can stress that enough. But that doesn't mean you should pack ALL the booty shorts and crop tops etc. 
People will stare. People will judge you. Sorry. Opt for looser fitting clothes i.e sun-dresses, harem pants you know clothes that breath up in here.
  • Drink lots of water boothang. You're going to be sweating it up all day errday and you kind of dont want to faint from not having water in ya system
Just drink all the water. Do it. I really can't stress this enough. Water is life.
  • Try some local food. ITS SO GOOD UGH.
Highlight of all my Ghana trips is the food. As we speak, or as I type, I have a quota of foods I have to digest before I leave! Please give me all the plantain chips thanks.

So that's pretty much how to live in Ghana. It's a crazy beautiful place so come visit anytime. But really dont leave your handkerchief. Just don't. You'll regret it.

Look out for more Ghana posts from me in the upcoming weeks! Hope you've been well yo.

And what doth the Lord require of thee? To act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with thy God. Micah 6:8

Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook

1 comment

  1. DONT FORGET THE PLAINTAIN CHIPS holla

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please leave a lovely comment :)

© Voyageuse Africaine
Maira Gall